A correction to the May 2016 edition of GM Repair Insights where we stated the following: “GM Rear bumper kits feature everything necessary to swap out a damaged bumper assembly”. Which is a true statement. We went on to indicate: “Shops just have to remove the existing bumper from the frame and unplug the electrical harness.”
A customer reminded us that the pick-up box must be lifted high enough for new bumper brackets to clear the rear cross sill, which is positioned in front of and level with the lower edge of the tailgate. And before you can lift a pick-up box, there are many parts that must be removed so we thought that any sincere correction should include the details required to lift a box enough to install a rear bumper kit. To clear the pick-up box cross sill, the rear of a box must be lifted approximately three inches above the frame.
To accomplish this, technicians must:
1. Loosen the fuel tank filler pipe housing from the pickup box.
2. Remove the pickup box end gate.
3. Remove the tail lamps.
4. Disconnect all electrical connectors and wire harnesses from the pickup box.
5. Locate and remove eight fasteners attaching the pick-up box to the frame.
6. Use help as needed to tilt the rear of the box and install wedge blocks as necessary to temporarily support the structure.
With the pick-up box lifted, now you are ready to remove the damaged bumper and install the new assembly. Note: Snug the rear bumper kit in place temporarily as the next step will be to align and secure the pick-up box in place.
Key torque specs:
• Eight Pick-up box bolts: 63 lb ft
• Upper brace bumper bolts, quantity of two: 52 lb ft
• Lower brace bumper bolts, quantity of two: 30 lb ft
We sincerely appreciate the reader feedback!
- Loosen the fuel tank filler pipe housing from the pickup box. Refer
to Fuel Tank Filler Pipe Housing Replacement.
- Remove the pickup box endgate. Refer to Pickup Box Endgate Replacement.
- Remove the tail lamps. Refer to Tail Lamp Replacement.
- Disconnect all electrical connectors and wiring harnesses from the pickup box.
Pickup Box Bolt (Qty: 8)
Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution.
Tighten Pickup Box bolts to 85 Y (63 lb ft)
• Use help as needed to remove the pickup box.
• Use the alignment pins on the frame of the vehicle to help
reinstall the pickup box.
• Transfer any parts as needed if replacing the pickup box.