With all the attention paid to front-end hits and the collateral damage to the engine and electronic systems, it can be easy to overlook the fact that the same level of detail must be paid to damage in the rear section of the vehicle. There too repairers must pay special attention to wiring, SRS units and any place they may encounter high voltage.
Fortunately, OEM repair instructions typically highlight these potential trouble spots and explain how they must be addressed before and after the repair. Your shop must make sure always to reference the associated safety instructions. Use the following GM repair instructions on body rear panel replacement on the Chevy Bolt to bone up on your sectioning and replacement skills. Note that required safety documentation to be accessed is marked with italics.
Chevy Bolt Repair Procedure
Body Rear End Panel Replacement
Danger: Always perform the High Voltage Disabling procedure prior to servicing any High Voltage component or connection. Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) and proper procedures must be followed.
The High Voltage Disabling procedure will perform the following tasks:
- Identify how to disable high voltage.Identify how to test for the presence of high voltage.
- Identify condition under which high voltage is always present and personal protection equipment (PPE) and proper procedures must be followed.
- Failure to follow the procedures exactly as written may result in serious injury or death.
Warning: Refer to Approved Equipment for Collision Repair Warning.
Warning: Refer to Collision Sectioning Warning.
Warning: Refer to Glass and Sheet Metal Handling Warning.
- For MIG-Brazing parameter and Spotwelding Parameter see Structure Identification.
- Disable the SIR system. SIR Disabling and Enabling.
- Inspect the high voltage system. High Voltage System Inspection.
- Disconnect the battery negative cable. Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection.
- Remove all related panels and components.
- Visually inspect the damage. Repair as much of the damage as possible.
- Remove the sealers and anti-corrosion materials from the repair area as necessary.
- Drill all factory welds of the rear end panel (1).
- Remove the damaged rear end panel.
- Align the rear end panel.
- Verify the fit of the rear end panel.
- Spot weld the rear end panel (2) accordingly with 68 spot welds.
- Install rear end panel (3) with 42 plug welds.
- Apply the sealers and anti-corrosion materials to the repair area as necessary.
- Paint the repaired area.
- Install all related panels and components.
- Connect the battery negative cable. Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection.
- If disabled, enable the high voltage system. High Voltage Enabling.
- Enable the SIR System. SIR Disabling and Enabling.
- Structure Identification.
Category: The Technical Side