Some customers of 2017–2020 Buick Encore models with the available side active safety obstacle detection feature (also known as Side Blind Zone Alert: RPO UFT) may comment that, while driving, a warning alert appears in the side mirror when a vehicle is not present in the side blind zone area.
The concern may be caused by unwanted radar reflection being detected by the Side Object Sensor Module shown below. Note that most radar reflections tend to be worse on the driver side than on the passenger side.
If it’s determined that the system is not working properly, apply a piece of aluminum butyl tape to the bottom of the Side Object Sensor Module.
TO APPLY THE TAPE:
- Raise the vehicle and remove the rear driver-side wheelhouse liner. (See SI for detailed procedures.)
- Separate the wiring harness from the anchor point under the module. (Note that the lower area must be completely covered, including the wire harness anchor point, to avoid the detection of unwanted radar reflections.)
- Using Acrysol or an equivalent product, clean the bottom of the module and fascia.
- Carefully cut a 3.5-inch-wide section of butyl tape.
- Cut a relief for the reflector mount in the middle of the tape.
- Pre-install the butyl tape to check for alignment to the reflector mount.
- Align the pre-cut relief with the reflector mount (2).
- Apply the butyl tape to the bottom of the module and fascia (1), making sure the area is completely covered as shown in the graphic above.
- Install the wiring harness into the anchor point (3).
- Install the driver-side wheelhouse liner.
- Lower the vehicle.
If the side blind zone and/or side mirror indicators are performing properly, no further action is required. If they’re not functioning correctly, refer to Service Information for further diagnostics.