ELIMINATING AN UNWANTED SOUND IN SELECT COMPACT SUVs
Should you encounter a rattle or ticking-type noise near either B-pillar on 2019 or 2020 Chevrolet Equinox and GMC Terrain models, it may be due to one of the layered sheet metal panels at the rear radius area of the front-door opening. By having a spot weld on its edge, it allows the panel to vibrate against adjacent panels.
To correct the problem:
- Detach and partially remove the center-pillar upper trim panel (3) on the affected side(s). Refer to Center Pillar Upper Trim Panel Replacement in Service Information (SI).
- Partially remove the body-side, front side-door weatherstrip from the front-door radius.
3. Locate the sheet metal area at the rear radius, shown in the graphic above.
4. Locate the crease/gap in the sheet metal.
5. Carefully insert a screwdriver into the crease and wiggle it back and forth:
- If the noise is not eliminated, do not complete the repair below, but continue with further SI diagnostics to pinpoint the cause.
- If the noise is eliminated, continue to step #6 and complete this repair.
6. Use the screwdriver, or a similar tool, to spread and widen the sheet metal slightly. This will allow a shim to be inserted.
7. Apply low-adhesive tape or adhere a paper towel onto the edge of the headliner, to prevent damage or staining.
8. Cut a small, thin piece from a scrap portion of sheet metal, approximately 1 x 2 cm. (.375 x .750 in.).
9. Using pliers or another suitable tool, wedge the metal piece into the widened sheet metal crease, as shown above:
- If the noise is not eliminated, insert further or change the shim location.
- If the noise is eliminated, continue to the next step and complete this repair.
10. Inject SEM 39337 Door Skin & SMC Adhesive, or equivalent, into the opening to hold the shim in place.
11. Clamp the opening and seam where the wedge was installed and allow the structural panel adhesive to set, according to product recommendations.
12. Once the adhesive has cured, reinstall the center-pillar upper trim panel and the body-side door weatherstrip. Refer to Center Pillar Upper Trim Panel Replacement in SI.